Rome Underground: the Catacombs
Get ready to have your assumptions about Rome turned upside down on this incredibly unique journey of discovery. The itinerary includes some of the most uncommon, mysterious, and outlandish sites the Eternal City has to offer.
- Benefit from a VIP return transfer in a fully equipped minivan
- Explore a darker side of Rome
- Learn about the history of this sacred place
- Small Group Catacomb Guided Tour
The tour begins at one of the most spectacular centrally located squares in Rome: Venice Square, next to the Town hall. A VIP minibus fully equipped with air conditioning will take you to the ancient Roman catacombs. The staff will provide an App City audio guide that will introduce the venue and the old road of Via Appia.Located just outside of the city and hidden deep underground, the catacombs were created in the second century in response to a shortage of land for deceased’s remains. Dating back almost 2,000 years to the 2nd century AD, this extensive network of tunnels snaking underground was once both a burial ground and a place of worship for the first Christians in Rome. With an expert guide you’ll explore these extensive tunnels lined with tombs carved right out of the rock, and hear the fascinating history of these sacred places.Due to the very limited access to the catacombs, you should make your booking in advance - especially around Easter and between May and September, when Rome swarms with travellers. The cool catacombs make for a great break from Italy’s summer heat.
- VIP return transfer from the city center to the Rome underground venue of the catacombs
- Entrance ticket to the main Catacombs in Rome
- Guided tour within the Catacombs available in 6 languages (Italian, English, French, Polish, Spanish and German) - about 45 minutes
- Ancient Rome Multimedia video in Touristation Office
- Rome city APP
- Assistance at the meeting point
- Free Wi-fi at the meeting point
- Drink and food
- Pickup service from the hotel
- Masks are required, please bring your own
- Please bring a valid ID for children. Children under the age of 6 are free.
- Please report at the meeting point 15 minute before your visit starting time
- Due to the delicate nature of the surroundings, travellers cannot visit the catacombs independently; all visits must be part of a guided group or private tour.
- Admission includes a guided tour Catacomb tours are not recommended for travellers who may get claustrophobic due to the small spaces.
- The tour is not accessible to visitors in wheelchairs or with severe motor disabilities
- Catacombs are holy places, so guests should dress appropriately—all should cover their shoulders and thighs.
- It’s better to also have a light jacket, as it can get cold underground Visitors with certain disabilities may be entitled to a free ticket after speaking directly to the ticket office of the catacombs.