Create your own Venice Mask – Artistic Experience
Find out the secrets of carnival masks and create your personal mask! Meet Giorgio, the mask-master and discover the secrets of the Venetian masks! An unconventional and special moment to live with your family or friends!
- Find out secrets and curiosities about Venice Carnival
- Create a typical Carnival Mask following the instructions of a Carnival masks master
- Enjoy this special moment with your family or your friends
Create your own Venetian mask is an artistic and handcrafted experience, which will make you live the leading role of Venetian Carnival preparations! In this unforgettable activity, a Venetian master artisan will explain to you the traditional art of mask making and their ancient history. Spend one-hour decoration or production course with Giorgio and feel as a firsthand active participant of this incredible experience, right in the heart of Venice! Who is Giorgio? Giorgio is an expert mask-making artisan based in Venice. Well, he is not simply based in Venice, he is a true Venetian like his ancient mastery! His traditional style Atelier will lead you in a different dimension of experience! Giorgio and his family carry out one of the most antique and fascinating arts of Venice, the mask making. Taking part in his courses you will immediately notice his incredible skills and lovable passion of who is pursuing a four-generation artisanal activity. Create your own mask and discover Giorgio’s artisan secrets!
- Starting times: every day 9.30 am, 11.00 am, 12.30 pm, 4.00 pm, 5.30 pm
- Cancellation: bookings can be cancelled with no charge up to 24 hours before the service. Course does not operate in case of exceptional high tide (it can be postponed later or to the day after otherwise it will be refunded)
MASK DECORATION COURSE
Giorgio, the mask artisan in his Atelier close to Saint Mark’s Square. The professional and artisan mask creator and decorator Giorgio will make your firsthand experience truly unforgettable! He will teach you in a funny way how to paint and decorate your own mask. The participants will choose a mask to be decorated during the course and at the end of the class lesson, they will keep their own colorful creations as a very special souvenir to bring back home.
MASK PRODUCTION COURSE
Your instructor will explain to you the ancient technique of making a Venetian paper-mâché mask providing information about the use of masks in Venice during the past centuries. The participants at the end of the class hour will keep their masks as a very special souvenir to bring back home. In this case of the mask production, the customer will return to Giorgio’s laboratory after 6 hours to collect the mask correctly dry.
- Decoration or production class
- Decorated or undecorated mask (depend on the class)
- Working items and apron
- The mask you made or decorated to keep
- For Covid-19 precaution the use of the mask is MANDATORY. So, please bring your own.
- TO ACCESS ANY INTERIOR (MUSEUM, CHURCH, PALACE, RESTAURANT, WORKSHOP ETC.) ALL PARTICIPANTS OVER 12 YEARS OLD MUST PRESENT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING: -PROOF OF FULL VACCINATION -PROOF OF FIRST VACCINATION ADMINISTERED AT LEAST 15 DAYS AGO -PROOF OF A COVID-19 INFECTION IN THE PAST 6 MONTHS -NEGATIVE TEST TAKEN NO MORE THAN 48 HOURS BEFORE THE ACTIVITY STARTS
- The Carnival mask master will provide masks and sanitizing gel
- Appropriate clothes suggested
- The tour could be shared with guests not belonging to the same party
- Unfortunately, this tour is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or people with walking disabilities
- The meeting point is at Campiello San Zulian 596, please be there 10 minutes before the beginning of the tour
ARRIVING ON FOOT
The laboratory is located a few minutes walk from Saint Mark’s Square. Once by the Bell Tower, go straight on leaving the Basilica on your right and pass under the Clock Tower. Proceed straight on to the end of “Mercerie dell’Orologio”. Then turn right into “Campo San Zulian” and facing the Church pass its façade on the left and you have reached “Campiello San Zulian”. The laboratory is in the opposite corner on your right.