5 days Sicilian Secrets Short Tour – Palermo/Catania
A memorable journey to discover the hidden treasures of Sicily with its fascinating history, art, traditions, scents and flavours...!
- 4* Hotels in the city centre of Palermo and Catania
- Multilingual tour leader and professional travel guide from the evening of the 1st day to the evening of the 4th day
- Local street-food tasting in Palermo at the famous Antica Focacceria San Francesco; in Catania tasting of Sicilian "granita and brioche" ; honey-tasting near the Etna mountain.
- Deluxe bus with USB charger
- Nice illustrated book about Sicilian culinary tradition with recipies in English as gift and souvenir of your journey.
Short Tour of Sicily Palermo / Catania - Regular departures every Tuesday5 days / 4 nights
Day 1 – Tuesday: PALERMO (hotel in Palermo)
Sicilian Secrets short Tour of Sicily 5 Days 2023 provides individual arrival to the hotel in the charming city of Palermo (optional private transfer on request). In the evening you will meet our tour leader and your travel companions for a short briefing. Dinner on you own and overnight in hotel.
Day 2 – Wednesday: MONREALE – PALERMO (hotel in Palermo)
After breakfast in hotel, the morning will be spent visiting Monreale, its huge Norman Cathedral, proclaimed the Eighth Wonder of the World, and its splendid Cloister in Arab-Norman style: admirable masterpiece of art, sculpture, and semi-precious stones marquetry! Later you will discover the stunning Palermo, one of the richest towns in the island for its history and art. Palermo stands on a bay dominated by Mount Pellegrino, a headland described by Goethe as the loveliest he had ever seen. While the Baroque predominates, there is a profusion of different architectural styles reflecting the city’s multicultural past: Punic walls, Art Nouveau villas, noble residences, 17th century squares, including an elegant opera house. Visit of the wonderful eclectic Cathedral, the astonishing Martorana Church and the amazing Cappella Palatina, admirable example from an historical and an artistic point of view, and a prove of how different cultures, religions and way of thinking apparently incompatible can coexist. Ruggero II employed Bizantyne, Muslim and Latin workers. During the day, you will have a stop to enjoy a typical lunch with local food. Along the path you will admire the famous Teatro Massimo and the debated fountain in Pretoria Square, situated in the ancient Kalsa area and adorned with 16th century sculptures. Dinner on your own and overnight in hotel.
Day 3 – Thursday: CEFALÙ – CATANIA (hotel in Catania)
After breakfast transfer to Cefalù, charming Medieval town situated at the northern coast of Sicily. Visit of its stunning Norman Dome and free time to stroll through the town or to visit the famous and well-known Mandralisca Museum. You will have a stop to have lunch in a famous restaurant. Arrival in Catania to visit Catania’s historical centre stated Unesco World Heritage Site, with its original Baroque style and its unique streets built with black lava stone. The colour scheme of the city-centre buildings is black and dark grey, relieved with white limestone details around doors and windows. The effect is extremely elegant! The walking tour will start from the scenic Duomo square with its magnificent Cathedral and the famous “Liotru” statue, antique lava-stone elephant, symbol of the city. Not far from here we will reach University Square and we will have a walk along the splendid baroque Via dei Crociferi, the most representative 18th century street in Catania, where we will admire the famous S. Benedict Monastery, Unesco World Heritage Site. Continuing the visit enjoy a break in a historical bar of the city centre to taste the typical “granita & brioche”. Dinner on your own and overnight in hotel.
Day 4 – Friday: ETNA – TAORMINA (hotel in Catania)
This morning after a short visit of the famous “pescheria” (the ancient fish market) in Catania, the tour will continue with an excursion to the Mount Etna, the highest (c. 3350m) volcano in Europe and one of the largest and most active in the world, nowadays Unesco World Heritage Site. Its regional park protects 59.000 hectares of unique geology, flora and fauna, villages and farms, and traditional methods of forestry, bee-keeping, wine manufacture, stonework and carpentry. Views of stunning landscapes will amaze you heading to Rifugio Sapienza. You will reach the “Crateri Silvestri”, small volcanic cones now inactive, surrounded by ancient lava flows. The view beyond the mountain’s hundreds of subsidiary cones and craters, can extend across the whole of Sicily, the Aeolian islands and Calabria. The spectacle is unique! You will have the chance to enjoy the local homemade honey and some typical products of the area. Then you will have lunch in a lovely restaurant. The tour continues towards Taormina, charming town renowned for its magnificent position above the sea commanding a celebrated view of Etna. Free time for lunch and in the afternoon visit of Taormina’s fascinating Greek theatre which will leave you breathless for its commanding view on Giardini Naxos bay and the Etna mountain! Free time for a nice walk among the picturesque Medieval typical narrow streets, to go shopping and looking around the local handicrafts (coral jewels, precious laces, ceramics, pastries and much more). The day will end with an overview of the beautiful Riviera dei Ciclopi. Back in Catania for dinner on your own and overnight in hotel.
Day 5 – Saturday: CATANIA
Our short tour ends today. Breakfast in hotel and end of our services.
Accommodation in charming 4 stars hotels located in the city centers of the main Sicilian towns, carefully selected for their location and design to combine tradition with comfort:
- Palermo:Mercure Palermo Centro 4* / Ibis Styles Palermo Cristal 4* or similar
- Catania:Il Principe Hotel 4* / Romano House Hotel* or similar
- Multilingual Tour leader and professional travel guide (English, Italian, Spanish) for the whole tour (from the evening of the 1st day to the evening of the 4th day), local guides or audio-guides where necessary.
- Deluxe bus from day 2 to day 4.
- Whisper kit.
- Accommodation in charming 4 stars hotels located in the city centre, international breakfast included.
- 4 international breakfasts and 3 lunches in famous restaurants to have a taste of Sicilian traditional cuisine.
- Visit of the main suggestive Unesco World Heritage Sites: Monreale, Palermo, Cefalù, Catania city centre, Etna.
- Tasting of Sicilian typical products:Palermo (day 2) tasting of local street food;Catania (day 3) tasting of Sicilian “granita & brioche”;Etna (day 4) visit of a beekeeping honey company and honey tasting.
- Transfers in/out,
- meals not included by the program,
- entrance fees for monuments/museums,
- city taxes (where compulsory),
- tips and extras in general,
- anything not specified under “The rates include”.
EXTRA FEES ENTRANCES*
- Monreale Cathedral € 4,00 p.p.
- Monreale Cloister € 6,00 p.p.
- Palermo Cappella Palatina € 12,00 p.p.
- Palermo Martorana Church € 2,00 p.p.
- Taormina Greek theatre € 10,00 p.p.
*to be confirmed
You will receive your travel documents by email 10 days before the departure. You will be given the names of the confirmed hotels, place and time of meeting with our guide for the day of your arrival and all the details you need for your unforgettable holidays in our amazing Island!